No one entered the contest. Not one person. Surely the quotes weren't that difficult? Some, the first two in particular, were quite easy, I thought.
The answers are below.
---Pride and Prejudice, first line
2. But when a young lady is to be a heroine, the perverseness of forty surrounding families cannot prevent her. Something must and will happen to throw a hero in her way.
3. Everybody likes to go their own way---to choose their own time and manner of devotion.
5. One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
6. We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.
7. No one can be really esteemed accomplished who does not greatly surpass what is usually met with.
---Pride and Prejudice
8. In every power, of which taste is the foundation, excellence is pretty fairly divided between the sexes.
10. It isn't what we say or think that defines us, but what we do.
---Sense and Sensibility
I'll try again next year, with different quotes.